Stuffing is an integral part of a Thanksgiving or holiday table, next to your favourite plant-based protein, some mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, salad, and a fresh and tart cranberry sauce. We cooked up a great stuffing side dish using our delicious Seeds & Grains loaf. The result is moist, warm, familiar, and lightly herby. Stash it in cute mini pumpkins like we did and watch your guests gush.
1 loaf Seeds & Grains bread, cut into 3/4” cubes and left to sit on the counter overnight*
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
2 tablespoons warm water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cups fresh peeled and diced pumpkin
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, stemmed
1 cup vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste
*If you can’t leave the bread cubes on your counter overnight, spread them onto a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes, until they begin to crisp. Let cool completely before using in the recipe.
- In a small bowl, mix ground flaxseeds and water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Warm olive oil in a medium pot. Add shallot and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Add pumpkin and sauté for 5 minutes. Add raisins, fresh sage, fresh thyme, and cinnamon, and stir to combine.
- Add broth and bread cubes to the pot and gently toss until bread is evenly coated and liquid is mostly absorbed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, grease a cooking dish (or stuff in mini pumpkins, like we did, no need to grease but you’ll have to scoop out the seeds).
- Bake until set, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve warm.