Who says samosas can’t be gluten-free? All the delicious ingredients of a traditional samosa have hopped out of their pocket and come together as an amazing gluten-free burger. Flavours of turmeric, soft potato, peas, carrots, and cilantro hit your curry craving hard, while a plant-based turmeric yogurt keeps a great balance between spicy and cool. Toss it on our delicious Millet & Chia buns and enjoy!
For the samosa patties:
1 teaspoon oil
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup red pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1” piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
3 large yellow potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, peeled boiled and drained
1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped, boiled and drained
1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
2 to 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
For the turmeric yogurt:
1/2 cup unsweetened plant-based yogurt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh cilantro leave, finely chopped
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons sugar
6 Little Northern Bakehouse hamburger buns
1 teaspoon oil
4 leaves green lettuce
4 slices tomato
1/2 cup finely shredded purple cabbage
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make the patties. In a large pan, sauté the onion and pepper in oil until softened, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and spices and continue cooking 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, roughly mash the cooled potatoes. Add carrots and onion mixture and continue mashing, leaving a bit of texture. Add the peas, bread crumbs, cilantro, salt and pepper and gently toss to combine.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal balls and form into patties.
- Place them on a parchment covered cookie sheet and bake until the bottom side is golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.
- Gently flip and continue cooking until the second side is golden brown, an additional 15 minutes.
- Make the turmeric yogurt sauce. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- To serve, oil the buns and place them in the oven until warmed through, approximately 5 minutes.
- Place patties on buns, top with vegetables and yogurt sauce. Serve immediately.