Lightly sweetened with pure maple syrup, this is hands down the tastiest…and simplest…plant-based French toast we’ve ever made! The waffle iron makes for easy preparation and cleanup. Not even a spatula is required to produce crisp deliciousness without a skillet.
1 cup organic coconut milk (from a can)
1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 slices Little Northern Bakehouse bread
Coconut oil, to grease the waffle iron
- In shallow bowl, combine the coconut milk, chia, syrup, and vanilla. Let rest for 10 minutes until chia is softened and mixture has thickened slightly.
- Lightly grease your waffle maker with melted coconut oil or cooking spray.
- Working one slice at a time, dip bread into the liquid until completely coated.
- Place soaked bread into waffle iron and cook until golden brown, approximately 6 minutes (alternatively, you can pan-fry, cooking 3 to 4 minutes per side).
- Let rest for one minute to allow bread to firm up.
- Serve immediately, topped with real maple syrup and your favorite berries.