Pretty, pretty please with cherries jubilee on top? Treat the whole family to a gourmet, gluten-free ice cream sandwich that tastes just as delicious as it looks. Our Cherries Jubilee Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwich layers non-dairy ice cream between two pieces of grilled Cinnamon & Raisin gluten free bread for a sweet and savoury chew. The cherry on top? This treat is completely family-friendly! We’ve made this recipe fun and delicious for all ages by skipping the traditional flambé and cooking the cherries jubilee in a splash of smokey maple syrup instead. Grill, stew, layer, and serve!
- Butter and grill the Cinnamon & Raisin bread in a panini press or in a pan (as if grilling a grilled cheese sandwich). Grill until crisp and/or with grill marks. Allow to fully cool (we popped ours into the freezer for 5 minutes).
- While grilled bread slices cool, make your easy cherries jubilee sauce. Cook down a cup of cherries with a tablespoon (or more to taste) of high quality, dark maple syrup until the mixture turns thick and luscious. If you prefer a bit more acidity, squeeze in lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Take boxed non-dairy ice cream and cut into 1-inch slices.
- Place the slice of ice cream between the grilled bread and top with the cherry sauce.
Serves 1 – 4
- You’ll notice your bread slices are thin, which is perfect. It becomes exactly like an ice cream sandwich cookie. They’ll soften the longer they’re in contact with the ice cream, so don’t shy away from a slightly crispier finish than you might usually use on a grilled cheese sandwich.
- For an even quicker option, cut the time in half and heat your favourite cherry jam (such as Bonne Maman Intense Cherry Fruit Spread) instead of fresh or frozen cherries and follow the same steps.
Looking for gluten-free recipe inspiration? Scroll down to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for more ideas like this! Or follow us on Instagram and Facebook.