Spread on toast, grilled in a sandwich, or spooned straight from the jar, our easy no-bake gluten-free Cookie Butter Spread is too delicious to resist. Fast, fun, and easy to make, our cookie butter base recipe just begs to be customized. Simply switch up the gluten-free cookies and throw in your favourite flavour boosters! We’ve included three tasty cookie butter twists to get you started—Red Velvet, Chocolate Chip, and Speculoos. Our how-to is a gateway to the gluten-free cookie butter of your dreams!
We used our Red Velvet Gluten-free Cookie Butter to make a delicious, indulgent vegan red velvet grilled cheese! The combination of red velvet cookie butter and non-dairy cream cheese make this an irresistible, ooey-gooey, delectable dessert sandwich. But we won’t tell anyone if you have dessert for dinner.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s simple and totally customizable. This low-effort, gluten-free dessert spread is one you can keep in your back pocket for whenever you need something sweet. It easily serves a family of four, but don’t be surprised if people ask for more! (Or if it’s so good you want to keep most of it to yourself!)
Easily serves a family of 4.
For the Gluten-free Cookie Butter Base:
- In a food processor, pulse to combine the cookies with the coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- To make the other flavour options, use all the ingredients for the base recipe—including the coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla unless otherwise indicated below—and switching up the variety of cookie.
For the for the Red Velvet Cookie Butter:
- Use double chocolate chip cookies.
- Because you’re adding beet juice, reduce coconut oil to 1/3 cup. Once beet juice and cocoa powder have been incorporated, add up to 1 tablespoon more melted coconut oil as needed until desired cookie butter texture is reached.
For the Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter:
- Use chocolate chip cookies or sugar crisp cookies. Follow the base recipe as written.
- When cookie butter is done, fold in the mini chocolate chips by hand.
For the Speculoos Cookie Butter:
- Use vanilla honey graham cookies or sugar crisp cookies.
- Instead of the maple syrup in the base recipe, swap in 1 tablespoon molasses. Blend in spices as you process the cookie butter.
For the Red Velvet Cookie Butter Grilled Cheese:
- Prepare Red Velvet Cookie Butter as above.
- Spread Red Velvet Cookie Butter and non-dairy cream cheese on a slice of bread, and top with second slice.
- Butter both sides of the sandwich with non-dairy buttery spread.
- Grill in a panini press or pan until golden on both sides.
Don’t let your cookie butter crumble! Because coconut oil solidifies in the cold, take it out of the fridge to warm up or give it a few seconds in the microwave if you just can’t wait to use it. It’s at its creamy, buttery, spreadable best at room temperature or slightly warm.
Scroll down and subscribe to our newsletter for more delicious gluten-free recipes. Come up with a cookie butter customization you don’t see here? Show us your makes! Post your creations on Instagram and tag us @littlenorthernbakehouse!