Everyone can experience a beloved ballpark classic when you serve our Easy Plant-based Gluten-free Chili Dog at your next get together! Our fast and easy vegan chili is a flavour-packed, one-pot wonder that helps you be a summer meal hero—all without hours of hovering over a hot stove or a pile of pots to scrub.
We made our gluten-free chili with as few ingredients as possible so it would be easy to make when chili dog inspiration strikes—but that doesn’t mean we skimped on flavour! Beans, aromatic veggies, and a handful of spices are all you need to whip up this amazing vegan chili. Fast. (So you can get out of the kitchen and on with the summertime fun!)
Gluten-free Chili Dogs are Just the Beginning!
Serving this simple but satisfying vegan chili among a smorgasbord of gluten-free hot dog toppings is only one of many ways to enjoy this fast and easy recipe!
- Try it as the filling for a plant-based gluten-free sloppy joe sandwich! (Just add a bag of our Millet & Chia Gluten-free Burger Buns)
- Use this chill-shaking chili to warm up winter weekdays—it pairs perfectly with gluten-free crouton made from heels and lonely last slices of your favourite Little Northern Bakehouse bread.
Whether you prefer the stove-top for simplicity and speed, or the slow cooker or Instant Pot for scorching hot summer days when just the thought of standing over a stove is too much to bear, we’ve got you covered with instructions for each. Make it and serve it however you like!
(You can even freeze portions for later and try all our serving suggestions any night of the year).
For the Stove-stop:
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add oil.
- Sauté onions until translucent. Add in garlic, corn, and red pepper. Stir together, then add herbs and spices and mix again. Sauté until peppers begin to soften (about 2 – 3 minutes).
- Next add in beans, diced tomatoes (including liquid from the can), and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Add in lemon and pepper. Adjust to taste.
For the Slow Cooker
- Start by adding olive oil, onions, garlic, corn, and red pepper into the slow cooker. Add in spices/herbs to cover and mix. (If you prefer your peppers tender but with a little bite, leave them out until the last hour on high or the last two hours on low.)
- Once onions are tender and seasonings have been combined, throw everything together in the slow cooker, and cook on high for 3 – 4 hours or on low for 6 – 8 hours.
- Season to taste and serve. (Tip: Save a serving dish at clean-up time—take the whole slow cooker out to the table, add a ladle, and scoop straight from the pot!)
For the Instant Pot
- Set your Instant Pot to Sauté, then select More. Add in your oil and chopped onion and cook for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add the remainder of your ingredients. Turn the Instant Pot to the Chili setting (or Pressure Cook) and place the lid on the pot. Cook for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Release pressure manually or allow it to release naturally.
- After release, remove the lid and serve.
For the Easy Plant-based Gluten-free Chili Dog
- Cook your veggie dogs as you like, or per the instructions on the packaging.
- Give your gluten-free buns a light toasting. (This is optional but can be done easily on the grill or in the oven in 1 – 2 minutes.)
- Place your gluten-free veggie dog in your gluten-free bun and cover with a ladle’s-worth of vegan chili.
- Top with your favourite toppings (such as shredded plant-based cheese) and serve.
- If you don’t have cacao powder on hand, you can use 2 tablespoons of shaved vegan dark chocolate instead.
Show us what your favourite way to eat this fast and easy vegan chili. Post your makes to social media and tag us @littlenorthernbakehouse. If you want more healthy, tasty, versatile, gluten-free recipes like this one, sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this page.