Zucchini boats are the perfect vessels for your favourite fillings. Our Easy Gluten-free Mushroom-Stuffed Zucchini Boats are packed to the gunnels with a savoury combo of sautéed mushrooms, crisp carrots, and sweet bell peppers. We gave our tasty cargo a little kick with a small jalapeño, then topped it off with a crunchy-and-gooey contrast of toasty gluten-free breadcrumbs and melted vegan mozzarella.
Whether you follow our recipe or chart your own course with a freestyle filling you whip up from whatever’s in your fridge, this dish delivers boatloads of flavour! Serve it as a hearty plant-based main that’s sure to satisfy a hungry crew (or as a tasty vegan side dish).
The Best Way to Make Stuffed Zucchini
The secret to unsinkable zucchini boats? It’s all in the width—the beamier the zucchini the better! Whether you choose a small, medium, or country-fair-winningly large squash, look for zucchinis in that resemble more of a comfy canoe than a skinny sculling boat. Because the wider the zucchini, the more mouthwatering stuffing you can stow! (Save the skinny zucchini for another dish.)
- If you haven’t already, prepare a batch of gluten-free breadcrumbs. (We made ours with White Wide Slice bread using our Perfect Gluten-free Breadcrumbs recipe).
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- While oven is preheating, cut the stem end off the zucchinis and slice them in half lengthwise. Use a tablespoon to scoop out the pulpy center that contains the seeds, and put the zucchini cut-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake zucchinis for 15 minutes, or until just slightly softened.
- While the zucchinis bake, heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushroom crumble and remaining vegetables and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms release their liquid and the liquid cooks off, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the frying pan from the heat. Sprinkle the mixture with garlic powder, stir in the breadcrumbs and mozzarella cheese. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and turn them over on the sheet pan so they are cut side up. Divide the mushroom mixture between each zucchini, spooning it into the carved-out channel where the seeds were removed.
- Return the zucchinis to the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the zucchinis from the oven, sprinkle each boat with mozzarella cheese. Return to the oven or to the broiler and cook until the cheese is melted, 5 minutes or less.
- Drizzle with Nonna Pia’s Balsamic Glaze (optional) and serve warm
- For an extra spicy kick, keep the seeds from the jalapeños in the recipe.
Sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this page for more easy plant-based gluten-free recipes. And make sure to follow our Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for loads of gluten-free foodie content and resources.