Jumpstart your day with this delicious gluten-free plant-based breakfast. This Plant-based Gluten-free No-Egg in a Nest recipe is the perfect way have fun with your food while keeping things gluten-free and allergy-friendly!
If you grew up eating and loving this classic dish but have avoided it because eggs are off the menu (because you or a loved one) has an allergy—you might miss the golden crunch of fried bread paired with savoury eggy sunshine. That’s why we made a gluten-free, plant-based version—so you can experience the joy of the real thing all over again! Whether you know it as the egg-in-a-hole, fried egg in toast, egg in a basket, or anything else, you’ll appreciate the familiar flavour of this nostalgic dish—and you’ll love that it’s vegan and gluten-free too!
We swapped out the eggs for tofu, and with the addition of other whole food ingredients like white beans and avocado, this dish is packed full of protein, healthy fats, and other nutrients you need. Tofu is an egg-cellent substitute because of its versatility. Egg is one of the top allergens—so on top of being vegan, making our recipes allergy-friendly is extremely important to us!
Now you may notice in the instructions that we have opted to make an indentation in the bread instead of cutting out a hole. Don’t panic! If that’s the way you know and love this recipe, go with what you prefer. But we found this method produced a more post-worthy result overall.
A fun and tasty breakfast like this one is perfect for tackling busy weekdays or fun-filled weekends with your family. What are you waiting for? Get cracking with this amazing healthy vegan breakfast recipe!
- In a food processor blend all the “egg white” ingredients together until smooth (tofu, plant-based milk, vegan mayo, tamari, and salt). When finished, scoop into bowl and set aside.
- Clean your container and process the “yolk” ingredients until smooth (white bean, plant-based milk, turmeric, yellow mustard, and garlic powder). When finished, transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. While your pan heats up, prepare your bread by using the bottom of a glass (or your thumbs) to create a circular indentation in the centre.
- Lather the back of your gluten-free bread with vegan buttery spread, and place your bread on the pan and fill with your “egg white” make a small groove in the middle to add your “yolk”.
- Cook for a few minutes, checking regularly. Carefully flip to cook the other side.
- Remove from pan when fully cooked. Top with mustard, avocado, ketchup plant-based cheese and fresh pepper. Or simply use your favourite toppings.
This recipe makes at least 6 servings.
- Lather the back of your gluten-free bread with vegan buttery spread to achieve that crispy golden-brown texture more easily.
Sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this page for more easy plant-based gluten-free recipes. And make sure to follow our Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for loads of gluten-free foodie content and resources.