Adapted from a recipe originally published on: https://lindsey-silverman.squarespace.com/blog/2021/8/26/broccoli-rabe-grilled-cheese-w-green-harissa?rq=broccoli
Autumn is right around the corner! Yikes, when did that happen!? The summer kind of breezed by in a way, but I’m excited for the fall—cooler weather (hopefully!), honeycrisp apples, winter squash, cozy nights, heavier blankets—all the good stuff.
Ames is heading into TK (transition to kindergarten), so not quite a kindergartener yet (his birthday is September 27th, which falls after the district’s September 1st cut-off), but he’ll be attending TK at our local elementary school which is both amazing, and completely insane to me. My little guy going off to big school! I don’t think I’ve wrapped my mind around how huge that is, but I’m just wishing it to be a wonderful experience for him.
One way I’m welcoming the new season both figuratively, and in life, is by making these delicious grilled cheese sandwiches. I’m using Little Northern Bakehouse’s wide slice whole grain gluten-free bread for these, because I wanted that traditional grilled cheese feel (most gluten-free bread is a bit more squatty in size). It’s basically a large-format gluten-free bread! Like all of their products, the wide slice has a wonderful airy quality, while also having a great hearty texture and flavour. And my kids love that they get more sandwich compared to a regular-sized piece of gluten-free bread. It’s really the perfect canvas for all things sandwiches, toasts, but especially grilled cheese sandwiches! The bread stands up wonderfully to being stuffed and grilled, and delivers such an amazing crunch!
We make a homemade spicy green harissa (I typically leave this off of the kids sandwiches, but if your kid likes spice, go for it!) to spread on the sandwich—it’s bright and herbaceous, and quite fiery. Then we blanch some broccoli rabe, and toss it with some vegan cheese shreds. We pile this high on our bread and fry it some vegan butter. I usually serve it with a soup, or vegetables on the side for the kids. This is my favourite cozy dinner meal, but it could totally stand to be just as awesome for lunch. I hope you get to make these 🙂
- Make the green harissa. Combine all the ingredients, except the olive oil, in a food processor fitted with a metal “s” blade. With the motor running pour the olive oil through the pour spout, and blend. Stop the motor and scrape down the sides. Blend once more until everything is combined. Taste and adjust any seasonings. Pour into a small bowl, and set aside.
- Make the grilled cheese. Trim the bottom 1-inch off the ends of the broccoli rabe. Bring a salted pot of water to a boil. Toss the broccoli rabe in, and blanch for 1 minute, until bright green and wilted. Drain, and run under cold water. Wring out the broccoli rabe in a dish towel until dry.
- Roughly chop the broccoli rabe and add it to a bowl with the cheese shreds. Toss everything together, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use 1 tablespoon of butter and butter one side of each slice of bread; place the bread on a work surface, butter side down. Spread the inside of the bread with about 2 teaspoons green harissa, and top with the broccoli rabe-cheese mixture.
- Heat your skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add half of the remaining butter, and place sandwich in. Cook each side for 1 – 2 minutes, until golden brown and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining sandwich.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy
Sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this page to stay in the loop on all things gluten-free! And follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for gluten-free foodie recipes and inspiration.