Take your toast game up a notch! Inspired by one of our favourite snacks, Elote, our gluten-free Grilled Mexican Street Corn Toast is fully loaded with all the fixings. We slathered on a thick spread of mashed avocados here and sprinkled some sweet grilled corn there. Topped with plant-based feta cheese, avocado lime crema, and a dusting of Tajin, the flavours in this dish will transport you right to the streets of Mexico.
If you haven’t used Tajin spice before, you’re in for a zippy oomph.Tajin is a tangy Mexican powdered spice, that blends chili, salt, and dehydrated lime juice.This versatile spice brings a real zing to this Mexican toast recipe and is a useful ingredient to have stocked in the kitchen. Tajin adds a spicy zest to dishes when used as a rub, taco seasoning, or lightly sprinkled over fruit salad.
Cooked corn can last in the fridge for up to four days when stored in an airtight container. Grill a few extra cobs to make this healthy toast again during the week with some time-savings.
Instructions to Prepare Toppings:
- Brush corn with a buttery spread or olive oil and grill over medium heat until charred. Remove from heat. Let cool, then carefully cut the corn off the cob. Set aside.
- Mash avocado with a squeeze of lemon or lime. Add in salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Make avocado lime crema by mashing more avocado, and adding non-dairy sour cream, lime zest, and lime juice. Mix to combine. Set aside.
Instructions for Serving:
- Toast bread of choice. We used Little Northern Bakehouse Seeds & Grains Bread for a seedy and extra-crunchy texture.
- Spread toast with a light layer of mayo.
- Top with mashed avocado, then add grilled corn on top. Crumble on vegan feta cheese, a sprinkle of Tajin (or similar lime and chili Mexican seasoning), and chopped cilantro.
- Dollop with avocado lime crema and serve with lime wedges.
Serves 2 – 4
- We used regular vegan mayo, but you can spice up the dish by using a chipotle mayo—just mix mayo with minced chipotle peppers, garlic powder, and pepper.
Bring more of the joy of world flavours to your kitchen—gluten-free. Follow Little Northern Bakehouse on Facebook or Instagram, or scroll down to subscribe to our monthly email newsletter for more recipe ideas like this!