Rich with tender, meaty portobello mushroom strips and caramelized onions, this satisfyingly warm Gluten-free Mushroom French Dip sandwich is a scrumptious complement to any cool day. To make sure everyone can experience the joy of the real thing, our vegan French dip recipe takes all the essential elements of the original and makes them plant-based, allergy-friendly, and deliciously gluten-free!
Toasted and topped with melted dairy-free cheese, our gluten-free Millet & Chia Buns offer the perfect sturdy and crusty handholds for the plentiful filling and rich, umami-packed mushroom au jus—an easy plant-based dipping broth that adds a chef’s kiss worthy finishing touch to this seriously tasty sandwich.
- In a large skillet, warm 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onion, salt, and sugar. Reduce the heat to low and cook until caramelized.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute. Transfer all to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet with the sliced mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook the mushrooms until lightly brown and tender.
- Add the broth, gluten-free tamari, vegan Worcestershire, liquid smoke and seasonings to the pan along with the reserved onion mixture. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook until slightly thickened.
- Divide the shredded vegan cheese between the buns and broil until golden brown and melted.
- Strain the mushroom mixture from the liquid, making sure to save every savoury, umami-drenched drop of the liquid in a bowl (that’s your mushroom au jus!).
- Divide the mushroom au jus into two small shallow dishes for dipping.
- Pile the mushroom mixture onto the cheesy toasted gluten-free buns and serve with the mushroom au jus.
Blown away by this gluten-free vegan mushroom dip recipe with mushroom au jus? Scroll down to sign up for the Little Northern Bakehouse newsletter to get fresh inspiration in your inbox—and follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram to fill your social feed with more gluten-free goodness.