Adapted from a recipe originally published on: https://onegreatvegan.com/blog/vegan-elote-corn-burger
It’s corn! And yes this versatile vegan ingredient is what we are all absolutely obsessing over. And since Little Northern Bakehouse has the best gluten-free burger buns, I knew that I had to create the ultimate stacked sandwich piled high with creamy Elote, marinated mushroom patties, spicy sauce, crispy fried fritters, and so much more! Also these buns are so soft and perfect that everyone in the family can enjoy beautiful bread without any of the allergens. I love to lightly toast the burger buns, add on a good helping of smashed avocado, and pack them full of delicious, colourful toppings. Hope you enjoy the Elote Burgers my loves!
- Pierce with a fork and marinade the portobello mushrooms in barbecue sauce, liquid aminos, maple syrup, smoked paprika, liquid smoke, and hot water. Set this aside.
- In a large pan on medium-high heat, sauté minced garlic in oil until the garlic is slightly browned. Season with a splash of salt.
- Add the corn kernels to the sautéed garlic and season them with chili, tajin, salt and pepper to taste. Mix and cook everything together for 5-10 minutes until the corn starts to brown and then mix in fresh chopped cilantro. Set aside the cooked corn.
- In a large bowl make the flour batter by mixing together gluten-free flour, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Mix together.
- Add vegan egg, plant-based milk, Indian black salt, and maple syrup to the flour batter. Mix everything together until a thick batter forms. Add more plant based milk if needed.
- Mix the cooked corn into the batter and combine everything together until you create a corn fritter batter. Using an ice cream scoop, portion out burger patty-sized fritters and flatten them. Place them on a covered baking sheet until ready to deep fry.
- Heat oil in preparation to deep fry or you can airfry/bake the corn fritters as well.
- Two fritters at a time, deep fry the corn fritters on both sides until crispy golden brown and the fritters float to the very top of the oil. They should fry up in hot oil in less than five minutes.
- Set the fried fritters on a towel lined plate to remove any excess oil while you fry the remaining corn fritters.
- Grill the marinated portobello mushrooms in a pan with a little bit of plant-based butter and cook them on both sides on high heat while lightly pressing them down with a spatula.
- In a medium bowl combine the cooked corn with spicy cream sauce: mixed together plant-based mayonnaise, cayenne pepper, chili powder, lime juice, and plant-based milk. Mix this all together to create a creamy corn Elote. Set this elote aside.
- Toast the burger buns and build the burger with the bottom toasted bun then smashed avocado, creamy elote corn, cilantro, red onion, mushroom patty, spicy cream sauce, fried corn fritter, spicy cream sauce, elote corn, vegan feta cheese, cilantro, smashed avocado and the top bun.
- Sing your song, do your dance, speak your truth and enjoy the Elote Burgers!
Sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this page to stay in the loop on all things gluten-free! And follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for gluten-free foodie recipes and inspiration.