Sweeten outdoor celebrations with a tasty, gluten-free twist on a perfect summer treat—classic strawberry shortcake. It just takes minutes to cook up this saucy, berry-licious topper, so this speedy Vegan Gluten-free Strawberry Shortcake Toast is the perfect complement for any celebration, big or small. From birthdays and summer parties all the way to Mother’s Day brunch, serve over toasted slices of our delicious plant-based and gluten-free Millet & Chia bread and top with fresh sliced strawberries, dairy-free whipped coconut cream, and a sprinkling of gluten-free graham-cracker crumbs for a truly blissful treat.
Dissolve cornstarch in water and set aside.
In a saucepan, bring the crushed strawberries and sugar to a boil and add the starch mixture stirring constantly until thickened.
3. Remove from the heat and add sliced strawberries and lemon juice. Toss gently with a rubber spatula until sliced berries are coated in sauce.
Toast bread, spread a quarter of the whipped coconut cream on 2 slices and top with a quarter of the strawberry mixture and a quarter of the graham crumbs. Repeat and pile high!
serve & enjoy!
- Don’t wait for strawberry season—make this gluten-free strawberry shortcake toast all year with frozen berries!
- If using frozen strawberries, thaw a portion to crush for the base of the sauce. When sauce has nearly thickened, add remaining 2 cups of frozen sliced berries to your saucepan and simmer for 2 – 3 minutes in the warm sauce to soften instead of adding in step 3 as you would for fresh.
- If using previously frozen (thawed) strawberries, complete steps as originally listed, folding the 2 cups of sliced thawed berries into the sauce.
- If less sugar is more, cut the 4 tablespoons of sugar down to 2—the sauce will still thicken perfectly, but be prepared for a less sweet treat (especially if your berries aren’t perfectly ripe).
- Use what you’ve got! Substitute lime juice for lemon if that’s what you have on hand.
Get more delicious gluten-free recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up for our monthly newsletter at the bottom of this page. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for gluten-free foodie recipes and inspiration.