Adapted from a recipe originally created by One Great Vegan
Take your tongue on a tasty, tropical trip with this easy Tropical Vegan French Toast recipe! This easy plant-based gluten-free meal is made with spiced coconut milk, rainbow fruit salsa, crushed macadamia nuts, juicy mangos, and slices of our Sweet Hawaiian gluten-free bread. Now doesn’t that sound like a sweet treat for your taste buds?
This delicious dish is so loaded with flavour, it’s totally tempting to have it for more than just breakfast. Breakfast for dinner—that tastes like dessert?! Who doesn’t love the sound of that? (We won’t tell anyone if you decide to indulge more than once.)
- In a flat bowl mixed together: full fat coconut milk, ground flax, pineapple juice, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and Indian black salt. Whisk all the ingredients together in the bowl until it is fully incorporated and mixed together. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat up: diced mangoes, water, organic sugar, lime or lemon juice, lime zest, and ground cinnamon. Continuously mix this together with a spatula on medium high heat until they are saucy and the mangoes are a dark orange colour. It should look like jelly or marmalade. Set aside on very low heat.
- Make the tropical salsa by mixing together minced pineapple, minced kiwi, and fresh pomegranate seeds. Mix everything together until well combined. Set aside.
- One slice at a time, dip the Sweet Hawaiian gluten-free bread into the seasoned coconut milk mixture until all sides are fully covered with the mix.
- Add oil or plant-based butter to a large pan and grill the coated bread on both sides with medium high heat. Flip both sides until it is golden brown and crispy to your liking. Continue to dip the bread and grill them in the pan until you have all of your desired slices fully cooked and browned.
- Bake the cooked French toast in the oven for a few minutes at 425℉ to make sure they are extra crispy when you serve.
- When you are ready to serve, stack the French toast with slices of bread then saucy mangoes, then more bread, add on saucy mangoes and garnish with the tropical salsa, toasted coconut, and crushed macadamia nuts. sprinkle with a bit of organic powdered sugar and serve with a good helping of maple syrup.
- Experience the joy of the real thing!
Sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this page to stay in the loop on all things gluten-free! And follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for gluten-free foodie recipes and inspiration.