Adapted from a recipe originally published on: https://www.healthylittlevittles.com/vegan-french-onion-brats/
Today I’m taking a SOUPerstar, ditching the spoon, and serving it in a handy allergy-friendly bun! These Vegan French Onion Brats combine all your favourite flavours of French Onion Soup with fun summertime grilling for a fresh new take on brats! We’re talking some gourmet brats here people!
We’ll start with my favourite gluten-free hot dog buns from Little Northern Bakehouse that are hearty but smooth and are ready for anything you’ve got cooking. And they’re also vegan, allergy-friendly, and Non-GMO Project Verified. These hot dog buns are made with nutrient-rich millet and chia seeds to keep them soft and not crumbly, yet also offer just a subtle crunch.
If you aren’t familiar, millet is an ancient cereal crop that even today feeds about one third of the world. It’s rich in iron, B vitamins and calcium, millet has a mild corn flavour and is naturally gluten-free. The chia seeds offer some omega-3 fatty acids, fibre, and protein making them a great choice for plant-based diets. They tasted absolutely perfect in this brat recipe.
Next, you’ll caramelize the onions. This recipe is super simple, but it pays to be patient with the caramelization process. Trust me, it’ll be worth the wait. To enhance the French onion flavour, we’re going to throw in a little vegan Worcestershire sauce, some vegetable broth, garlic powder and onion powder.
Just before the onions are ready, grill up your favourite plant-based brats, or even veggie dogs. Place them in the Little Northern Bakehouse gluten-free hot dog buns on a foil-lined baking sheet, then top each brat with a generous helping of caramelized onions. Next, you’ll sprinkle on some vegan cheese—I used a combination of mozzarella style and parmesan.
Turn your oven broiler on and broil them to melt the cheese and give the buns a little added crunch. Be careful to watch them closely so they don’t burn. Garnish the Vegan French Onion Brats with fresh thyme if desired and enjoy! I’m so grateful for Little Northern Bakehouse putting delicious hot dog buns back on the menu! They have reinvented this household staple so that everyone can enjoy it, without sacrificing anything in the way of taste. These buns are most definitely the best I’ve had.
For the Caramelized Onions:
- Slice the onions first. Remove the outer skin, slice in half vertically and then slice each half into strips. Place the onions in a large skillet with 2 tablespoons avocado/olive oil.
- Add the vegetable broth, worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic and onion powder, and pepper and toss the onions to combine.
- Let the onions simmer on low heat for 45 minutes, until very soft and translucent, tossing occasionally.
For the Vegan French Onion Brats:
- When the onions are about 15 minutes from being done, grill the brats via your preferred method.
- Place the brats in the hot dog buns and then generously top each brat with the caramelized onions, vegan mozzarella, and vegan parmesan cheese.
- Broil each brat in the oven watching very closely until the buns start to crisp and the cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh thyme if desired and enjoy!
Healthy Little Vittles is a food blog created by certified health coach and published author, Gina Fontana, that focuses on gluten-free + vegan + plant-based recipes. She creates simple, flavorful meals, many made in 30 minutes or less! All eaters are welcome, there is a little something at healthylittlevittles.com for everyone!
Want more delicious gluten-free recipes? Subscribe to our newsletter at the bottom of this page and follow us on Instagram!