Adapted from a recipe originally published on: https://www.makingthymeforhealth.com/vegan-gluten-free-hot-dogs/
Gluten-Free Vegan Hot Dogs
Gluten free & vegan hot dogs—made with nutritious ingredients, these homemade hot dogs are a great healthy alternative to the processed, store-bought version.
You can easily find vegan hot dogs at most grocery stores these days so why in the world would you want to make your own?
Well, for starters, virtually every brand is made from gluten and/or soy. Not exactly ideal for those with food allergies. Second, processed faux meat isn’t really the healthiest option considering it’s not made from whole food ingredients.
Luckily, making your own vegan hot dogs at home is easy and only requires a few key ingredients!
What About Gluten-free Hot Dog Buns?
Sure, I could always post a recipe for gluten-free hot dog buns but I don’t see a reason to do that when there’s an awesome store-bought option like Little Northern Bakehouse’s Millet & Chia Hot Dog Buns. The texture is soft and fluffy, and I love that they infuse them with nutritious ingredients like whole-grain millet and chia seeds.
- In a medium saucepan, add the rinsed lentils and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, warm one tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until fragrant and translucent. Add the shredded carrot and continue to cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until soft.
- To a food processor, add the cooked lentils, onion/carrot mixture, Worcestershire, tomato paste, spices, salt, and pepper. Blend for about 10 minutes, pause, then scrape down the sides of the bowl. Repeat this step until mixture is well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add 1/4 cup of the flour, a few tablespoons at a time, until the mixture is thick enough to be shaped with your hands. If you’ve used all of the flour and the mixture is still sticky, refrigerate it for 30 minutes before shaping into hot dogs.
- Roll the mixture into hot dog-like shapes, place on a plate, cover, and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, warm another tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the hot dogs on each side until golden brown. Serve warm in hot dog buns with your favourite toppings and enjoy!
Sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this page to stay in the loop on all things gluten-free! And follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for gluten-free foodie recipes and inspiration.