This easy recipe for Vegan Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pot Pies is the perfect plant-based comfort food for when you need to warm up on those colder months.
Pot pies aren’t normally vegan, nor gluten-free, but our recipe checks both of those boxes—and an extra one for “deliciousness!” Each perfectly portioned mini pot pie is filled with a healthy serving of vegetables including green beans, carrots, peas, potatoes, and corn. Coupled with our certified gluten-free, allergy-friendly, non-GMO Millet & Chia bread, this quick weeknight dinner is one you can feel good about serving to just about anyone—including any self-proclaimed veggie haters in your house. (This savoury meal may just win them over.)
Although this vegetarian gluten-free pot pie recipe tastes just as good year-round, it’s a true crowd-pleaser for mixed-diet holiday family gatherings.
- In a large soup pot, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and minced garlic. When it starts to brown, sprinkle with gluten-free flour and leave for three minutes, moving constantly.
- Add the vegetable broth and non-dairy milk and mix until the flour dissolves completely. Then add the navy bean purée and stir in until well mixed.
- Add the vegetables, salt, and pepper and let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are thoroughly cooked.
- Once cooked through, remove pot from heat and let stand while you make your crust.
- To make the crust, use a cookie cutter, glass, or the ramekin itself to cut your Millet and Chia bread to the size of your ramekin and toast in a pan with vegan butter or olive oil.
- Then place 1 piece of bread on the bottom of the ramekin, then pour the pot pie mixture in, finish by adding an additional piece of bread on top. You may also wish to garnish with a bit of fresh parsley.
Makes 8 servings.
- Leave approx. ½ inch when pouring your filling, this will ensure your crust doesn’t cause the ramekin to overflow.
- Don’t have a skillet? A regular frying pan works just fine.
- Instead of purchasing individual bags of frozen veggies you can purchase a mixed bag of peas, beans, corn, and carrots. (Use 4 cups for recipe)
- Use the heels of the bread as a bottom slice for the pie (crust down). This will help you use up all the bread—and the heels work excellent as a base.