Adapted from a recipe originally posted on: https://www.healthylittlevittles.com/veggie-sushi-sandwich-rollups/
Up your lunch game with these Veggie Sushi Sandwich Rollups! Whole grain, gluten-free bread gets filled with nori, vegan cream cheese, avocado, cucumber, and shredded carrots then rolled up like sushi and garnished with everything bagel spice! Kids will love this healthy meat-free lunch too!
Can’t decide between a sandwich or sushi? Or have a taste for sushi but don’t feel like rolling your own? Welcome to a new way to sushi without the hassle of cooking and cooling rice, not to mention these rollups kick the same ol’ boring sandwich to the curb. Loaded with veggies and flavor, and definitely kid-friendly, these Veggie Sushi Sandwich Rollups are sure to be a big hit in your home like they are in mine!
There’s no better way to spice up your lunch and when you’re craving sushi- these rollups certainly satisfy. Once I figured out how to make these Veggie Sushi Sandwich Rollups work it was sushi-sandwich perfection. Little Northern Bakehouse’s Whole Grain Wide Slice Bread was perfect in this recipe. Gluten-free bread slices tend to be a lot smaller than traditional bread, so their wide-sliced bread was definitely needed to be able to make this recipe work.
I am sure you’ve noticed that gluten-free bread isn’t as bendable and “elastic” as traditional wheat bread- after all, that is gluten’s job. But I’ve figured out a work-around to make this whole grain, allergy-friendly bread rollable, working perfectly for these sushi rollups. First, you’ll slice the crusts off and then microwave each slice for 13-15 seconds to warm them and make them more flexible. I also suggest rolling each slice with a rolling pin to make them a bit flatter and easier to roll as well.
Then you’ll spread a thin layer of vegan cream cheese over the warmed slice of bread, add a cut slice of nori, spread a thin layer of smashed avocado over the nori, and then layer in cucumber and shredded carrots. Gently roll the slice up like sushi and set aside on a plate with the seam side down while it cools and sets
Once all the slices are rolled you can either enjoy them as rolls, or slice them like sushi! I like to enjoy them sushi-sized and sprinkle everything bagel spice over top for the perfect garnish. The second most important thing to do is to not stuff them too full that they won’t roll-up. I’m guilty of over-stuffing my sushi, so I made sure to pay extra attention to not do that with these Veggie Sushi Sandwich Rollups.
I like to buy organic shredded carrots to cut out a step of slicing the carrots- not to mention they get the slices way thinner than I do, so it seems like a no-brainer. Now, let’s chat a bit about the bread I decided to use for this recipe. Little Northern Bakehouse’s Whole Grain Wide Slice Bread is a wise choice, bigger is definitely better here. This vegan, allergy-friendly, Non-GMO Project Verified bread allows these rollups to work best.
This whole grain bread is made with a blend of whole and ancient grains, without gluten, dairy, soy, or eggs, that give it a deliciously hearty bite. I love Little Northern Bakehouse’s gluten-free flour blend—modified tapioca starch, corn starch, and potato starch paired with their whole grain blend of whole brown rice flour, whole teff flour, whole millet, whole red quinoa adding some really great nutritional value.
- First, peel and slice the cucumber into thin strips.
- Spoon the avocado into a bowl and smash it with a fork.
- Next, cut the crusts off of each bread slice. Microwave one slice of bread at a time for 12-15 seconds, then gently roll the slice of bread flat with a rolling pin, making sure to get the ends well.
- Spread a thin layer of vegan cream cheese over the slice, then add a piece of nori on top of the cream cheese- cut to fit the slice of bread you’re using. Next, spread a thin layer of smashed avocado over top of the nori, add a slice of cucumber and about 5-7 shredded carrots toward the lower third of the bread slice.
- From the bottom up, roll the slice and place the rolled slice onto a plate with the seam side down while you repeat the process for all ofthe bread slices. You can sliced the rolls like sushi or just eat as rollups! Sprinkle with everything bagel spice before enjoying! Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this page to stay in the loop on all things gluten-free! And follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for gluten-free foodie recipes and inspiration.