Creamy. Crunchy. Mythical? More like magical! Everyone can enjoy this Easy Plant-based Gluten-free Unicorn Toast without sacrificing fun or flavour!
With echoes of cheesecake and fanciful pops of colour, this tasty toast is a lighthearted treat that serves up the joy of the real thing to kids of all ages! A blank canvas for creativity, this simple snack invites you to play with your food and eat with your eyes! Set the measuring spoons aside and decorate your gluten-free unicorn toast the way that makes your inner child squeal with delight! (The more sprinkles, the better!)
Whether you’re entertaining friends, hosting a tea party for your kids and their stuffed best friends, or just need an excuse to bring some colour to a grey and dreary Sunday afternoon—this sweet and simple snack is sure to delight!
The Joy of The Real Thing
When we say everyone can enjoy this deliciously decorated toast, we mean everyone! Our recipe starts with a hearty slice of gluten-free sprouted grain bread, generously spread with colourful plant-based cream cheese, and sprinkled with—well, sprinkles of course!
But don’t worry. Just like all our recipes, we went the extra mile to keep things gluten-free and allergy-friendly. That’s why we used vegan, gluten-free, organic sprinkles in our version, and made sure to only use plant-based food colouring as well.
How to Make Plant-based Gluten-free Unicorn Toast
This isn’t a recipe in the traditional sense—think of it as a mood board for colourful creations to come! Make your toast as unique as a unicorn! All you need to get started are three basic ingredient groups:
Gluten-free Bread Base: Sprouted 7 Grain and Sprouted Honey Oat add a feel-good foundation of gluten-free whole grain goodness to play with, but use whichever Little Northern Bakehouse gluten-free loaf is your favourite.
Colourful Plant-based Cream Cheese Spread: Portion your vegan cream cheese and mix in a few drops of plant-based food colouring. Try different colour combinations side by side, or mix and match to make your own dreamy colour palate.
Tasty Toppings: Unleash your imagination and sprinkle with childish abandon! Measure your sprinkles by the multicoloured hundreds and thousands for extra flavour and crunch! (You can’t go wrong with sprinkles, but a burst of freeze-dried fruit also fits the bill!)
- Divvy up your vegan cream cheese into separate bowls and mix each portion with your preferred colours of plant-based food colouring. Use as many bowls and colours as you need to decorate your one-of-a-kind unicorn toast!
- Toast your slices of gluten-free bread.
- Spread your colourful plant-based cream cheese on your gluten-free toast in any pattern and combination of colours you desire. Use our examples as inspiration, but don’t stop there!
- Top and decorate your unicorn toast with freeze dried raspberry bits, sprinkles, or any other colourful tasty toppings you can dream up!
- A little goes a long way! Gel food colouring is powerful stuff! Too much can alter the taste of your plant-based cream cheese, so start small. Add 1 – 2 drops at a time and mix. If it needs more colour, repeat.
- Let your inner artist out! Don’t be afraid to mix different food dyes together to make new colours.
Sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this page to get tasty, trendy, gluten-free recipes delivered straight to your inbox. Expand your gluten-free foodie horizons—follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest and get inspired!