Cousin to brunch, brinner is breakfast-for-dinner. This super delicious stuffed gluten-free strawberry rhubarb french toast is going to crush brinner. And breakfast. And dessert. Why? We made this french toast with our amazing Sprouted Honey Oat loaf, which is baked with sprouted whole grains and oats for enhanced nutrition and easier digestion. The subtle sweetness of honey and sprouted oats draws out the notes of strawberry and rhubarb even more. Enjoy!
For the Strawberry Rhubarb Compote:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the compote ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium low and continue cooking until thick and jammy, approximately 20 minutes. Cool completely.
For the Gluten-free French Toast:
- To make the soaking mixture, combine coconut milk, ground chia seeds, maple syrup, and vanilla in a shallow bowl.
- Start assembling the sandwiches by spreading half of the slices with the cooled compote and topping with the remaining slices.
- Working with one sandwich at a time, dip both sides into the soaking mixture and place a preheated non-stick pan greased with non-dairy butter. Cook until golden brown on one side, flip and continue cooking until the second slice is golden as well.
- Repeat with the remaining sandwiches and serve with vanilla yogurt.
- It doesn’t have to be rhubarb season to enjoy this spring-inspired dish. Find frozen strawberries and rhubarb in the freezer aisle to make this bright and bold brunch all year long!
- Make this plant-based recipe vegan with a simple swap. Try it with our Sprouted 7 Grain gluten-free bread (the sprouted gluten-free grains still bring subtle natural sweetness to french toasts and grilled sandwiches—and it’s certified vegan like the rest of our products). Or use your favourite Little Northern Bakehouse gluten-free loaf!
Love this recipe? Get gluten-free inspiration delivered to your inbox—scroll down to sign up for the Little Northern Bakehouse newsletter! And follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to fill your feed with fresh ideas for gluten-free meals for breakfast, lunch, dinner (or brinner!), and desserts!