No gathering is too big or small for gluten-free tea sandwiches! And with five plant-based, allergy-friendly fillings to choose from, you’ll have something to delight everyone you welcome to your table.
Presenting an epic three-tiered tray for your bestie’s bridal or baby shower? Putting out a platter of sandwiches for a light late afternoon lunch? Whipping up a simple snack for an unexpected guest from fridge and pantry staples? Throwing a tea party for your kid’s favourite teddy (and all their friends)?
Whether you’re hosting a casual gathering or a formal function, you planned your event for months or you’re all-in for the last-minute improv, an assortment of adorable gluten-free vegan tea sandwiches is a deliciously easy way to celebrate any occasion!
Check out the menu. Pick a couple favourite fillings. Or make all five!
The Menu: 5 Gluten-free Tea Sandwich Fillings to Try:
- Plant-based Pimento Cheese
- Vegan Caprese
- Cucumber and Vegan Cream Cheese
- Vegan Lox Cream Cheese
- Cress and Egg(less) Salad
Serve your small scrumptious sandwiches with gluten-free crusts intact or go for classic crustless. Whatever plant-based fillings you choose—crusts off or crusts on—our menu of gluten-free vegan tea sandwich recipes gives you everything you need to cater a grand affair with variety to spare so you can entertain guests of all ages. (And all dietary needs, too).
Or to simply indulge in a posh plant-based buffet of gluten-free delights for one.
So put the kettle on, grab your favourite Little Northern Bakehouse gluten-free loaf, and set the table for afternoon tea! (Elevated pinkies optional).
(Ingredients are listed per tea sandwich. Multiply fillings and bread slices as needed to make as many gluten-free tea sandwiches as you need to satisfy everyone at your party. (Don’t forget to leave room for treats!))
For the Plant-based Pimento Cheese Filling:
- If using sunflower seeds: Lightly toast seeds in a dry pan over medium heat until fragrant. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
If using firm tofu: drain well and pat dry.
- Peel and chop your carrot. Steam or boil in water until soft. (If boiling, reserve cooking water to use as a flavourful upgrade to the water called for in the ingredients).
- Add all ingredients—except diced pimento peppers in juice—to a food processor or high-powered blender, and blend or process until smooth.
- Pour blended plant-based cheese mixture into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gently cook, stirring often until mixture thickens to a spreadable consistency similar to loose mashed potatoes. (Reduce heat if needed to avoid scorching the bottom).
- Remove from heat and fold in the diced pimento peppers.
- Allow to cool before transferring to a clean jar or airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to one week.
(One batch of Plant-based Pimento Cheese Tea Sandwich Filling makes enough for 3 – 4 gluten-free tea sandwiches).
For the Plant-based Pimento Cheese Gluten-free Tea Sandwiches:
- Prepare the Plant-based Pimento Cheese Tea Sandwich filling and allow to cool.
- Lay 2 slices of Millet & Chia (or your favourite Little Northern Bakehouse gluten-free bread) on your cutting board.
- Spoon Plant-based Pimento Cheese generously over one slice, close the sandwich, and slice into quarters.
For the Vegan Caprese Gluten-free Tea Sandwiches:
- Dice tomato and mince (or chiffonade) fresh basil.
- Lay out 2 slices of Little Northern Bakehouse Seeds & Grains gluten-free bread on your cutting board.
- Spread herbed vegan cream cheese evenly on both slices of bread.
- Add sliced vegan mozzarella cheese to one slice of bread. Top with diced tomatoes and basil, and drizzle with balsamic reduction. Close the sandwich and slice into quarters.
For the Cucumber and Vegan Cream Cheese and the Vegan Lox Cream Cheese Gluten-free Tea Sandwiches:
- Place 2 slice pairs of your favourite Little Northern Bakehouse gluten-free bread on your cutting board.
- Spread non-dairy cream cheese evenly on one (or both!) sides of each pair. Top with sliced cucumber or plant-based carrot lox and close each sandwich. Slice into halves or quarters.
For the Cress and Egg(less) Salad Gluten-free Tea Sandwiches:
- Make the Egg(less) Salad filling according to the recipe, and wash greens.
- Lay 2 slices of your favourite Little Northern Bakehouse gluten-free bread on your cutting board.
- Top one side with a generous dollop of vegan egg salad filling, add watercress (or sprouts), and close the sandwich. Slice into halves or quarters.
- Use a serrated knife and a gentle sawing motion to cut tea sandwiches into halves or quarters. That way your fillings won’t smoosh out the sides (and your presentation will be the envy of Instagram!)
- For a classic crustless tea sandwich affair, stack bread slices for each sandwich as a pair and cut crusts off before adding your fillings. (But don’t let the gluten-free goodness go to waste! Snack on the crusts while you work or save for later to make gluten-free breadcrumbs or croutons).
- Making more than two gluten-free tea sandwiches? Set up a small assembly line on your cutting board! Lay your bread slices out in pairs. Spread, fill, and top all of them. Then close and slice your sandwiches as a batch.
- If your tea sandwich spread showcases several varieties, slice each variety with a distinct shape to help your guests to spot each type on the platter, fast. You could slice your Cucumber and Vegan Cream Cheese Tea Sandwiches into square quarters and your Vegan Lox Cream Cheese Gluten-free Tea Sandwiches into triangle quarters. Or you could leave the crusts on for the gluten-free Plant-based Pimento Cheese Tea Sandwiches and go crustless with your Cress and Egg(less) Salad Tea Sandwiches. How you style your gluten-free tea sandwiches is up to you!
- If your vegan tea sandwich menu includes more than one dairy-free cream cheese filling—but you’re not making enough gluten-free sandwiches to justify buying two or three kinds of plant-based cream cheese—pick up plain and do some DIY! Let it soften slightly, then portion what you plan to flavour into small bowls. Mix in fresh (or dried) herbs and/or finely minced garlic or shallots. (If you have time, return your DIY flavoured plant-based cream cheese to the fridge for a few hours to let the herbs and/or garlic flavour infuse fully before you make your sandwiches).
For more gluten-free, plant-based, allergy-friendly recipes fit for every meal and occasion—including subscriber-exclusive content and more—sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this page. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to fill your social feed with plenty of delicious gluten-free inspiration!