We are taking all the best parts of your favourite vegan cheeseburger and combining it with your other favourite – pizza. Think of the best dive burger with perfectly drippy cheese, crisp lettuce, sharp onion, tangy burger sauce and savoury “meat”, all on your favourite slice. Now you don’t have to choose between burgers or pizza, you can have it all!
Much like your favourite burger or pizza, this recipe is totally customizable! Feel free to change up the sauces at the base, we used our vegan version of burger sauce, but you could just use ketchup or marinara for a more traditional pizza crossover or to satisfy a less adventurous picky eater. Double down on the deliciousness by adding smoky tempeh or plant-based bacon to upgrade this to a vegan bacon cheeseburger pizza. This recipe is so versatile you can add just about any ingredient you’d like. Like peppers? Add them. Want grilled mushrooms? Throw those in there too. And don’t worry about the precision of your chopping, slicing, and dicing, abilities. All the ingredients come together nicely on the pie. You can even switch up the pizza crust for more crunch. We went with the Original Artisan but the Thin Crust works just as well.
Pizza Restaurant Tip:
When your pizza is out of the oven, give it another quick brush of oil, even just the residual oil on the brush and sprinkle with a little flaky salt.
- Mix all ingredients together, tasting and seasoning as you prefer, and keep in an airtight container or jar for up to a week.
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- In a hot pan, saute your ground until browned with some crispy bits, season with salt and pepper to taste. Try to cook the ground so there is very little moisture left. This will keep your pizza from getting soggy.
- Spread your crust with a thin layer of the neutral oil, this will help keep the crust from getting spongy or soggy, and help it to crisp. Pro tip: sprinkle a little poppy or nigella seed on the crust to give an added crunch – like a poppy or onion bun
- Add 2-3 tbsp of the burger sauce to the crust, depending on how saucy you like your burgers, spread evenly.
- Ensuring to spread your ingredients evenly over the crust add the ground, onions, tomato slices, any other veg you’d like to add, and optional vegan bacon. Cover generously with cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 mins until the cheese is melty and starting to brown and the crust is golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 3 minutess to allow the cheese to set.
- Zig zag drizzle with burger sauce or just ketchup and mustard over top and add your pickle disks and optional shredded lettuce.
Makes 1 whole pizza, serves 2-3 people.
Follow us on Instagram for more gluten-free foodie inspiration.