If you’ve been looking for the perfect meat substitute, then this gluten-free Seitan recipe is the one for you! Seitan has a chewy, meaty texture and savoury quality that lends itself well to replacing chicken or beef in many dishes. Finding a vegan meat substitute that is also gluten-free can be a challenge, but we’re up for it. Our recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and most importantly, delicious!
Although Seitan is usually made with gluten, we’ve adapted this recipe so you can have it all – vegan AND gluten-free! Our Seitan recipe relies on baking rather than boiling to achieve its meaty texture and we think it’s better that way. Once baked, it can be sliced and seared for sandwiches, chopped up and added to soups, or used in any way you’d like to replace meat. We recommend trying it in place of jackfruit or hearts of palm for our delicious Vegan Gluten-free Cuban Sandwich.
- Preheat the oven to 325℉.
- While the oven heats up, puree all wet ingredients in a food processor.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and slowly add to the wet mixture in the food processor. Mix until all ingredients have come together into a dough ball.
- Place the dough on a long piece of foil, in a 12-inch log and leave enough foil around the edges to wrap it completely.
- Wrap dough in foil and twist the ends of the foil like a candy wrapper. Bake for 1 hour and 15 mins flipping at the halfway mark
- Let seitan rest to cool and slice thinly as needed.
Use this delicious gluten-free seitan in our Vegan Gluten-free Cuban Sandwich, Gluten-free Seitan Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage Sandwich, and Vegan Hot Pastrami Sandwich with Gluten-free Seitan recipes.
To get more innovative gluten-free, plant-based recipes like this one, subscribe to the Little Northern Bakehouse newsletter at the bottom of this page—and follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest to get gluten-free goodness in your favourite feed.