Calling all gluten-free foodies! Are you ready for a satisfying sandwich that will blow your taste buds away? Our Vegan Pastrami Sandwich with Gluten-free Seitan recipe is the answer to all your plant-based prayers!
This succulent sandwich features hearty gluten-free vegan seitan as our plant-based pastrami replacement, a punch of spicy brown mustard, and a dash of dill from the pickles. Loaded with flavour and packed between two slices of Little Northern Bakehouse Sprouted 7 Grain bread, this mouth-watering sandwich is not your average boring lunchtime fare. Experience the joy of the real thing with this allergy-friendly, plant-based take on the delightfully scrumptious pastrami sandwich.
Level-Up Tomorrow’s Lunch!
The best way to save time with this recipe is to make and simmer your gluten-free seitan the night before—perhaps on a Sunday evening. That way you’ll have a week’s worth of delicious gluten-free vegan protein ready to assemble award winning meals with. Looking for more variety? Use any extra gluten-free seitan to make this delectable Vegan Gluten-free Cuban Sandwich—your taste buds will thank you!
- Prepare the gluten-free seitan ahead of time by following this recipe, and allow it to fully cool.
- While the seitan is cooling, prepare the simmer broth by adding all ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to low simmer.
- Add the whole seitan to the simmer broth and simmer for 3-5 minutes each side.
- Remove from simmer and place on plate or in container, allow the seitan to rest in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Once rested, thinly slice seitan using a serrated bread knife.
- Pre-heat your panini press and begin assembling your sandwich while it heats up.
- Start by layering both slices of gluten-free bread with 1-2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard, then add the vegan cheese, and thinly sliced pastrami seitan.
- Place in panini press and cook until bread is light and crispy golden brown.
- Top with your pickle and enjoy!
- Depending on your size of pot, the liquid may cover the whole seitan log. If this is the case, only simmer for 5-7 minutes total.
- If you do not have a panini press cook in a frying pan for 3-5 minutes per side, using your spatula to lightly press the sandwich.
For more fun, flavourful, and trendy gluten-free recipes, sign up for our monthly newsletter at the bottom of this page. Find another way to use our gluten-free seitan recipe? Post your creations to your socials and tag us @littlenorthernbakehouse.