Give your friends and family everything they need to make a gluten-free hot dog they won’t forget! It can be challenging to find a plant-based, gluten-free, allergy-friendly franks—so when you do, it’s something worth celebrating. And a Plant-based Gluten-free Hot Dog Bar can make any summer meal feel like a special event!
Elevate cookouts, backyard BBQs, or speedy weeknight dinners this summer with a hot dog topping station. Whether you go all-out with a four-combo feast, or stick with one or two options to mix and match, this idea is sure to be a hit! Because a plant-based, gluten-free hot dog bar welcomes everyone to enjoy their veggie dog just the way they like it. Complete with all their favourite toppings.
When it comes to dressing gluten-free buns for your veggie dogs, classic condiments like ketchup and mustard never disappoint. So keep them on the table. Then invite everyone to try something new and exciting with these one or more of these four deliciously vegan hot dog bar topping ideas.
Each of these topping combos offers a fun and flavourful way to turn a tasty gluten-free hot dog bun into a memorable meal that will keep the conversation going long after the last bite. Tell your besties to bring their appetites. Because when they see the spread for this hot dog bar, they’ll be tempted to try them all!
Plant-based Gluten-free Chili Dog
A plant-based take on a tasty classic—if you love chili dogs, you know they’re worth the mess! This vegan version is no different. Dress your dog with our fast and easy chili recipe, and you’ll have this fan-favourite ready in no time!
Veggie Dog with Baked Beans n’ Chips
Expand the horizons of your taste buds with this unique plant-based hot dog idea. Like the chili dog—but with some added crunch from the gluten-free chips!—this savoury veggie dog may surprise you. Could this be your new favourite hot dog topping combination?
Hot & Cheesy Dog
Looking for something on the spicy side? Tantalize your tastebuds with this plant-based hot dog—and put the emphasis on hot! Topped with pickled jalapeños and a homemade pimento cheese spread, this vegan hot dog idea brings the heat and flavour!
Vegan Hot Dog with Homemade Mango Salsa
This sweet and savoury combination will sweep you off your feet! A delicious veggie dog, topped with fresh, homemade mango salsa on a gluten-free bun will whisk your tastebuds away to a sunny destination with every bite! (Store-bought salsa works just fine in a pinch.) This mango salsa recipe will be a hit at your next cookout!
For the Plant-based Gluten-free Hot Dogs
- Prepare the veggie dog toppings of your choice and set up a simple station for your friends and family to decorate their dogs.
- Cook gluten-free veggie dogs to your liking or according to the instructions on the packaging.
- Toast gluten-free hot dog buns (if desired).
- Add gluten-free buns and cooked veggie dogs to the topping station, invite everyone to decorate their dogs, and dig in! (Don’t forget plenty of napkins!)
For the Homemade Mango Salsa
- Prepare, dice, and combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Mix ingredients together using a pair of tongs or a serving spoon.
- Serve and enjoy. Or cover and store in fridge until ready to eat.
How to Cut and Dice a Mango Safely
- Before you begin, it can be helpful to cut a thin slice off the mango (where the stem is, thus removing it.) This gives you a nice, flat base to work with while you prepare your mango—which makes the whole process a lot safer.
- Stand your mango on a cutting board, take a sharp knife, and cut from the top down—slightly off centre—to avoid the pit. If you find your knife getting stuck, you’ve likely hit the pit. That’s okay! Move the knife slightly further away from the centre of the fruit, and try cutting again. Do this for both sides of the mango. This should leave you with 3 pieces (two ends, and one round with the pit in the middle).
- Trim the middle piece around the pit so as not to waste any edible part of the mango. After this you should be left with the hard pit. Remove any remnants of mango from the pit and toss it. (Maximize the amount of mango you get from one fruit!)
- Next take the two other pieces of mango and place them on your cutting board skin side down.
- Take a knife and create a grid by cutting vertical lines in one direction, rotating the mango and cutting a second set of vertical lines perpendicular to the first set. Cutting more lines, closer together, will result in smaller chunks of mango. Apply just enough pressure with the knife to cut through the mango to the skin, but not through the skin.
- From here, apply some pressure to the edges of the mango slices to turn them inside-out—popping the mango cubes up. You can then remove individual pieces by hand or cut them off with a knife.
- Remove any excess skin from any pieces of mango and there you have it! You’re ready to throw them into a mango salsa—or enjoy a cute, cubed snack.
Love these four easy gluten-free hot dog bar ideas? Check out our collection of Gluten-free Hot Dogs and Hoagie-Style Bunwiches for more creative ways to serve fun between delicious gluten-free buns! Scroll down and sign up for the Little Northern Bakehouse email newsletter to invite gluten-free inspiration into your inbox all year long. And follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to get more tasty gluten-free tips in your social feed.