You don’t have to travel the world to enjoy the delicious flavours of the Middle East! The No Sesame Za’atar that we used in our Bagelwich with Za’atar Cream Cheese was such an easy way to add depth and flavour that we wanted to share another way to use it. This No Sesame Za’atar Flatbread with Vegan Garlic & Lemon Yogurt Dip is simple gluten-free goodness, and a perfect weeknight dinner for one, or movie-night at home appy for two.
An earthy spice blend, za’atar packs a powerful punch with its herbal and peppery flavours. Though it’s typically made with sesame—a top allergen that we keep out of Little Northern Bakehouse products—we’ve found that the spice can be easily adapted into an allergy-friendly version by swapping sesame seeds for poppy seeds. In our blend, thyme infuses minty tones and sumac brings a tangy taste to the palate.
With flatbreads trending in the hottest restaurants and home kitchens alike, we wanted to pair beautiful za’atar flavours with our gluten-free Artisan-style pizza crusts. In this recipe, you get more with less: being less-sauce forward and with far fewer ingredients, this flatbread makes the richness of olive oil and spices of za’atar sing.
What makes this gluten-free No Sesame Za’atar Flatbread so interesting is its garlicky lemon yogurt dip. Like traditional hummus, many yogurt dips are made with tahini, which is sesame-based. To keep this dish completely allergy-friendly (on top of being vegan and gluten-free!), we’ve used sunflower seed butter instead to bring a nutty, thick richness to the dip!
Make our No Sesame Za’atar Flatbread a meal by serving the flatbread and dip with slices of your favourite fresh vegetables and fruit, cut for dunking.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°F (or use a pizza oven if you have one).
- Prepare your no sesame za’atar by adding cumin and coriander seeds to a pan and warming over low heat. When fragrant and toasty, remove from heat and let cool. Grind toasted seeds in a spice grinder, clean coffee grinder, or mash with a mortar and pestle.
- Transfer the ground seeds into a bowl and combine with sea salt, thyme, sumac, poppy seeds, and Aleppo pepper flakes (or chili flakes). You’ll have leftover za’atar, which can be stored in a spice jar for future use and other recipes.
- Prepare the Vegan Garlic & Lemon Yogurt Dip by combining non-dairy yogurt, sunflower seed butter, lemon juice, garlic, coriander, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix until well incorporated. Add grated lemon zest for an extra-citrusy zing.
- Wash and cut your favourite veggies to serve on the side, or whatever fruit and vegetables you have on hand. This flatbread pairs beautifully with fresh green beans, cucumber or zucchini spears.
- Make your No Sesame Za’atar Flatbread. Here, you have two options to choose from depending on your palate.
- For a more traditional and intense za’atar flavour experience, mix your za’atar spice blend with olive oil. Using a spoon, spread the mixture across the flatbread. With this method, olive oil connoisseurs can bust out their best extra virgin olive oil and savour the richness and sophistication it brings to this dish.
- For those less familiar with the powerful za’atar flavour or who crave a lighter experience, try our brush-and-sprinkle method. Brush olive oil on the crust, then sprinkle za’atar evenly across the flatbread. This allows you to control the balance of flavours in this savoury dish.
- Bake flatbread on a baking sheet or pizza stone for 15 minutes, or until crust is crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, slice, and serve with yogurt sauce and veggies for dipping.
- Double your za’atar spice blend to use in other delicious recipes like our gluten-free No Sesame Za’atar Cream Cheese Bagelwich. The beautiful flavours of your za’atar spice mix will last for a year when stored in an airtight container or spice jar. Some recommend storing the spice mix in the fridge to completely preserve the powerful flavour.
- Double your yogurt dip to use in other dishes. Slather the sauce on one of our veggie burgers or dress up a classic three-cheese gluten-free pizza with a fancy side dip. This yogurt dip can last up to one week in the fridge when stored in an airtight container.
Get more gluten-free recipes like this delivered to your inbox! Sign up our monthly newsletter by scrolling down to the footer of this page. And don’t forget to follow Little Northern Bakehouse on Instagram or Facebook for ongoing inspiration.